Monday, June 17, 2013

Graduation/Father's Day -- June 17

"When I hear someone sigh, 'life is hard,' I am always tempted to ask, 'compared to what?'"
- Sydney J. Harris

I am so happy I was able to make it home to see my youngest brother graduate high school. I still see him as my baby so it's so weird to see him graduate and go to college but I couldn't be more proud of him. I love you Teddy… 

I ran into a bunch of people from my high school that told me that they have been reading my blog and have been praying for me. I love that so many people have been reaching out and giving me words of encouragement. It really has helped this process so much easier…


In addition to my brother's graduation being on Sunday, it was also Father's Day! I was told when I was younger that the first true love any girl has, is her father. I used to be like "umm..no" back in my teenager days because all teenage girls hate their parents because they wanna rebel and what not. Now, I KNOW that my father is my first love and there isn't any man that I will love more than him and there isn't any man that will provide for me like he does. I mean.. I hope I find someone that can be as amazing as my father is but I highly doubt that…especially my generation of men but let me not get started on that because this is about my father….Below are some pictures of my dad and I =)! WUV YOU DAD!




Tonight, I was able to attend a fundraising gala for Harlem Junior Tennis and Education Program. I am going to literally copy their mission from their website to further explain this program:
"Our Mission is to bring tennis to youth from high risk, low income inner-city neighborhoods and offer opportunities for self- development, while highlighting education and a positive code of behavior."
One of my mom's best friends, Katrina, is the executive director of the program and has done an amazing job! It was so nice to hear from kids in the program tonight. They shared how the program has impacted them and the older kids shared how this program helped them get into some of the top universities in the country. 
I saw so many of my mom's friends. I know that my mom told her friends I have cancer. They probably thought prior to today that I looked fragile and sick and on a death bed somewhere so I'm very glad that I was able to come and be dressed up and show that I'm perfectly fine. I know I made a lot of people feel better after seeing me in person. I forgot to take pictures WITH people at the event soooo….all I have is a picture of myself before it.

While I was home I received three gifts from my mother's friends. They are the most thoughtful gifts! I know this is like weird to say kinda…but I really feel so loved like I didn't know this many people loved me I guess I can say…I have been more happy lately than I have been in a long time and I think it really is because all of this support I've been getting. Below are the pictures of the thoughtful gifts I received =)
Suzanna is the woman on the left and she got me a blanket that says "Lymphoma Warrior  -- I will win" on it. This is perfect for when I go to treatments sitting in a hospital chair for an hour or so! Lourdes is the woman on the right and she got me two beautiful bracelets. One has an Om on it symbolizing creation, oneness and truth and the other has an Eye of Horus on it symbolizing protection, light and reason. Thank you both so much! 

My Aunt Glenda got me these three necklaces. She wanted to get my necklaces representing my blog and my experience in all. I loved that she got me a necklace with faith on it rather than fear because once you conquer fear, you have faith. Thank you so much Aunt Glenda..


anyway....It makes me sad to leave my whole family and friends because they make me happier than anything. It sucks thinking I have to go back to blood drawings, treatment and hours at a hospital I don't even feel like I belong in. My sister, unfortunately, was not home in NY but my two brothers made my trip amazing. My brother, Gibby, is the funniest person I know and makes me laugh more than anyone else and Teddy (my other brother) is the most loving person in the world. I loved seeing my best friends, my cousins, my aunts and uncles, my godparents, my mothers friends....I loved seeing everyone! I'm just going to miss them so much. I think I'm just homesick even though I haven't even left yet. I love LA and want to live there but this whole experience makes me want to be home in NY more than ever. Off to Cali tomorrow....three doctors appointments RIGHT when I land...praying everything is still going great!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments/Questions