Monday, June 10, 2013

Wishing Tree - June 10



 "God gives his strongest soldiers his heaviest burdens."


I'm sure you are wondering what these trees are with hundreds of little pieces of paper hanging from them.... This is called the wishing trees at the City of Hope. Cancer patients, survivors, family members and friends make a wish on a piece of paper connected to wire and hang it on these trees. Some people also draw beautiful pictures or write a prayer. My mom and I both made wishes and hung them up on one of the trees.  Below I have examples of the different things people write including my mothers wish for me :). I will share my wish once it comes true with all of you.
My mother's wish: "I wish that Kristin has a full recovery form her lymphoma and it does not come back"
Today my first appointment was doing blood work. This is when I am so thankful for my catheter because they don't have to poke me. They just poke the end of the catheter and I don't feel a thing. Every time they do anything with the catheter, they have to clean it out by flushing it with saline. The last time they flushed it, it killed my chest because my catheter moved to my heart. BUT since they've moved the catheter, it actually felt kinda cool when they flushed it. The saline is colder than body temperature so it feels like a brain freeze but in your chest.. If you catch my drift... 
My second appointment was a meeting with my doctor, Dr. Forman. I am always happy when I see him because he is just the kindest, most compassionate doctor I've ever met. He always makes me feel so encouraged. He walked in and was so excited to tell my mother and I that Brentuximab was approved by our insurance. He had to convince them due to my age and diagnosis that this drug made sense. It was tough to convince them but he did it! He told me all my blood work was normal but my liver enzymes are elevated due to the drug triggering discomfort in my stomach. He was so impressed by how much my lesion shrunk! Everything was great! My mom was so concerned that I ordered a mimosa at lunch yesterday that she asked him if I could drink after I already told her he said I could and guess what he said? EXACTLY WHAT I SAID HE SAID. (except he said drink in moderation...but that's kinda the same) He also said I can live downtown instead of Pasadena which is so exciting because I originally thought it was too far. And as frustrating as apartment hunting is, I'm now excited that I get to look in downtown LA. 

My third appointment was to redress my catheter. I always love the nurses that redress my catheter because they answer all my questions no matter how silly they are. I just get freaked out whenever they take off the cover of my catheter because I see the actual tube in my arm knowing that this thing goes all the way to my chest. The nurses find me quite amusing for some reason so it's always nice to converse with them. Below are pictures of me and the nurse having a blast =)… (that was sarcasm if anyone didn't catch that)…
I now know that my medicine is working and I cannot be more thrilled! =) I still want for this all to be over but I know I still have 5 months left... I'm just going to keep smiling thinking about the day they tell me I'm in the clear.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments/Questions